Some courses require the use of LockDown Browser alone or LockDown browser and a webcam for online exams. The webcam can be the type that's built into your computer or one that plugs in with a USB cable. Students will need to download the LockDown Browser software in order to take these exams. When you use LockDown Browser to access a quiz, you are unable to print, copy, visit other websites, access other applications, or close a quiz until it is submitted for grading. Quizzes created for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with standard browsers.
Watch this brief video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam feature.
Download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
Taking the Test
- Start LockDown Browser
- Log into Blackboard Learn
- Navigate to the test
Note: You won't be able to access tests with a standard web browser. If this is tried, an error message will indicate that the test requires the use of LockDown Browser. Simply start LockDown Browser and navigate back to the exam to continue.
Guidelines for Successful Test Taking
When taking an online test, follow these guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted
- Turn off all other devices (e.g. tablets, phones, second computers) and place them outside of your reach
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and also that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Clear your desk or workspace of all external materials not permitted - books, papers, other devices
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test
- If the computer, Wi-Fi, or location is different than what was used previously with the "Webcam Check" and "System & Network Check" in LockDown Browser, run the checks again prior to the exam
- To produce a good webcam video, do the following:
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims
- Ensure your computer or device is on a firm surface (a desk or table). Do NOT have the computer on your lap, a bed, or other surface where the device (or you) are likely to move
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid readjusting the tilt of the screen after the webcam setup is complete
- Take the exam in a well-lit room, but avoid backlighting (such as sitting with your back to a window)
- Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted
Live Chat Help for Respondus Monitor (webcam proctoring)
Live chat help is available within LockDown Browser when using the webcam proctoring feature (sometimes called Respondus Monitor). Chat agents can assist you with pre-exam issues related to the webcam and microphone.
Live chat is accessible from several places in LockDown Browser:
- Within the the pre-exam steps. When working through the pre-exam steps for using a webcam with LockDown Browser, select "It's not working" at any time to access live chat.
- Within Help Center. Select the "Need More help?" button.
Respondus has a Knowledge Base available. Select "Respondus LockDown Browser" as the product. If your problem is with a webcam, select "Respondus Monitor" as your product
If you're still unable to resolve a technical issue with LockDown Browser, you can Submit a Ticket. Provide detailed information about your problem and what steps you took to resolve it